Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Hakone etc.

New flickr stuff. A new set all about Hakone and a couple of various new photos in a set called (get this) new - temporary. The idea being anything new is cycled in there first before being properly sorted. Just so you don't have to go sifting through a bunch of pictures of spiders just to see a cute picture of a baby. Or maybe I'm just a list freak. Probably a little of both.

So anyway, that Hakone gig. It was a fun time. The picture descriptions on flickr take you through most of the day, so I'll just relate what happened recently that is sort of related to the event in question.

As you know my job is to play the trumpet in the Army, but the Army decided that only playing an instrument would be too easy. Everybody gets a secondary job as well (and very often tertiary, ternary, googliary, and any other made up word for "another extra" you want to throw in). Up until now I have been living on the Easy Street having only a few librarian type duties. Now, I have been sort of unofficially chosen to work in the S5 department of the band. As near as I can tell, public relations and advertising or something. Not all bands have this, but in Japan, it's an important component. My first assignment: do a write up on Hakone. Hmm. Not a lot to go on, but I'll give it a whirl. The following is what I churned out.

-----

On November 3rd, 2005, the 296th Army band of Camp Zama Japan traveled to Hakone to take part in the annual Culture Day parade and festival. Culture Day is a Japanese holiday that commemorates the 1946 adoption of their constitution and is a day that is meant to celebrate the ideals of that document: peace and love. What better place to celebrate than scenic Hakone.

Hakone lies outside of Tokyo near the base of Mt. Fuji. The area is famous for its many hot springs and resorts. The natural beauty of the land is awe inspiring. The weather was clear and sunny providing the perfect backdrop for the festivities. The parade featured many groups dressed in authentic Edo-era (~1600 A.D.) costumes. Also in the parade were many local bands and other organizations. The Army band was honored to take part in the celebration.

In addition to the concert band, two of the small ensembles were prominently featured throughout the day. The Low Brass Quartet performed several Japanese favorites throughout the day to the delight of the crowd. The Dixieland Combo acted as an emissary of part of America’s culture to the Japanese. Their strong performances were well received by the audience all through the day.

The whole band was warmly welcomed. Our hosts made our trip comfortable and pleasant. The parade was great fun and helped to reinforce the bilateral friendship between our nations. The day was truly a celebration and an example of how important and enjoyable the sharing of cultures can be. In this way, the 296th stays on the front lines and acts as one of America’s most visible ambassadors to the people of Japan.

-----

Yeah, it's kind of shlocky and not that well written. I could do better, but I just wanted to turn something in and see what form they'd actually like in the future. I think it could be a fun job.

5 Comments:

At 02:03, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thought the write-up was very well written. I have a feeling the Army will be asking you to write more and more. Thanks for the report and the pictures. I think it's neat to have a window into Japanese culture (day).

BESS

 
At 03:52, Anonymous Anonymous said...

who actually took the pictures? Obviously you're *in* the band, so all those pictures *of* the band ... ?

-dad

 
At 07:06, Blogger Anne said...

Didn't you read the picture captions, Dad? Sam said that Hayakawa-san took them.

 
At 11:32, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Loved your pictures. You have a good eye. And the countryside really does remind me of Kentucky, with its forested hills and wild green undergrowth -- although those misty layered mountains in the distance aren't exactly what you'd find around Somerset!
-JEG

 
At 10:32, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, Sam! I am learning about Japan through your writing and flickr.

"Peace and Love" was the name of our first hostel stay in Paris. Interesting to know what it means when a Japanese hears it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home