Uncle Sam's Pincushion
3 shots today. What fun.
We're required to get a flu shot every season plus I had to finish up my series of shots for hepatitis A and Japanese Encephalitis. I don't mind the shots. I actually find it kind of interesting how the army is so careful to have all of us vaccinated. It makes good sense, but it seems almost like they're building this army of super soldiers impervious to germs. I almost expect to have mandatory bionic limb replacement come along in another month or two. ("Those flesh units are really unsat. These new units are totally high speed.")
But anyway, the guy that gave me my flu shot was very funny. He almost made getting the shot "as much fun as...sitting through church" (Ned Flanders, Simpsons ep. #9F22-Cape Feare). When I was up next he made a point of saying to the other doctor "but I haven't ever given any shots." just loud enough for me to hear. He kept pretending to be very nervous and saying things like "you'll watch and make sure I don't screw up, right?" Then, after the shot was done he said "oh no, the needle broke off." One semi-second of fear as I saw the needle wasn't on the syringe, but then I realized, they use the nice auto-retracting models. It made me laugh. No civilian doctor would be able to play around like that for fear of upsetting some patients. I kind of like the rough and tough Army. It's kind of like a big rowdy family reunion all the time.

5 Comments:
Super Soldiers: Impervious to germs...
...and superior in moisture-vapor-proofness?
I love the title to this one! Perfect!
J
By the way... I really don't get the numbering system of "The Simpsons" episodes. I even have that episode guide book, but the 9F22 stuff doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Season 9, episode 22, what's the F? Can you explain it to me?
No I can't. It comes from the Fox higher ups somehow and makes very little sense. It does have something to do with when an episode was purchased, not aired.
Cape Feare for instance was created using the season 4 creative team (Al Jean, Mike Reiss, Conan O'Brien, etc.) but it aired at the beginning of season 5. Since it was a season 4 creation though, it was part of the 9F series. Season 5 proper (under Dave Mirkin and Jim Reardon) is of the 1F series, but I don't know where 9F or 1F come from.
Loved your MST3K comment by the way.
Post a Comment
<< Home