Tuesday, November 08, 2005

It's on...The List

Dark City, one of my very favorite movies has made it on to Ebert's Great Movies list, an accomplishment not often given to a film made so recently (1998). Anyway, Ebert gives a nice re-review of the film and talks about a directors cut re-release sometime next year. Another DVD I'll add to a much too long list.

If you haven't seen it, I highly recommend it. It's a little odd and a little creepy, but if you made it through The Matrix, you should have no trouble with Dark City.

Ebert's Great Movies list is a fun place to go when looking for movies as well. A lot of films that you wouldn't really think about watching unless encouraged, but movies that engage and entertain you beyond the superficial level. 9/10 times you'll have a better time watching one of these than anything off the new release shelf, and save a couple of dollars to boot.

4 Comments:

At 03:54, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I saw the Ebert review and at first I thought that there was a new 2005 version someone made.

Also, I think it would be very instructive to have someone like Ebert take you through a movie like Dark City shot by shot. Kind of like a super-duper commentary track.

-dad

 
At 23:15, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did you know that Ebert *did* a commentary track for the Dark City DVD? I have a copy of the DVD myself, but have not watched it with the Ebert track.

BESS

 
At 01:03, Blogger Sam G. said...

Heck yes! Dark City was one of the first DVDs I owned for that very reason. It's a good commentary. Talks a lot about camera motions, color compositions, the way characters are developed. It all makes perfect sense when he says it, but it's stuff that I quite often miss.

Even better news, on the provided link, it says he will do another (different and new) full length commentary on the re-release. Oh yeah.

 
At 04:28, Anonymous Anonymous said...

bring it home for Christmas.

-kringle-san

 

Post a Comment

<< Home