The Cracks
One of the joys of life is getting deep into the cracks of our existence. Not just exploring life, but really jumping in head first into something. The wash of humanity is so refreshing.
We'll start with the mundane and work from there. As is the case all too often, I found myself exploring the Homestarrunner website (see the link over hyaah--->). The brothers Chap are a blessing to the world, I'm convinced. The sheer mass of consistently funny humor on their website is truly amazing. The fact it sprang from two guys messing around with flash makes it even more impressive. So...the cracks, right? I was just wandering around their site and found a completely "new" section that has been in existence for at least a year now. How is this possible, how could I have missed this until now? I've been going there for almost three years and thought I looked in every N and C. They just have so much stuff, so many hidden options, that it's hard to be able to enjoy it all. It may only be a website, but there's still a little bit of joy to be had there.
(The NEW section)
I also get the feeling of joyous exploration as I listen to music. Actually this is one of the reasons I continue to do music at all, it's always fresh. I was on the bus riding back from a recent gig. It was late, we were all tired, and I just put something in with the expectation of falling asleep. I went to the old standby, Prokofiev's Romeo and Juliet ballet by the London Symphony Orchestra. I dearly love that recording complete with the trumpet fracks I've learned to listen for. I've probably listened to it over 50 times by now and every time is a joy. I did end up falling asleep but when I woke up...what was I listening to? I was a little foggy and couldn't really place it immediately. It was just a little piece of transition material between the more thematic elements, but I listened to it with new ears at that moment in time. Maybe not a ground breaking insight, but definitely a slightly better appreciation for what I already thought was familiar.
So what is it about minutia that is so darn appealing? What drives a person to track individual statistics of a made-up football team so they can have a make-believe season of games with a bunch of other people doing the exact same thing? What is the motivation behind paying hundreds of dollars for used stamps? Why on earth do community theater actors do it? It's all about exploring life. I don't care if you're doing it in the classroom or in a butcher's shop, I think there's always a drive to get into the cracks and be in the know. To have knowledge that somehow sets you apart and makes you unique. Not quite "you are what you know" but close to that. I think it has more to do with actively controlling your personality in a pretty easy way. Want to become a less critical person? Very difficult. Years of reprogramming needs to happen. Want to get into landscaping? Easy. Pick up a book, a spade, and you're halfway there.
I was watching the film "Comedian" the other day (another part of that Amazon order) and Jerry Seinfeld talks about this concept in one of the deleted scenes where he is "nerding out" (my term) with some fellow Porsche enthusiasts. My favorite quote (close to it anyway):
"Get into something dumb. Get DEEP into it. You'll find one of life's greatest joys."
I couldn't have said it better myself.

2 Comments:
How do you get to that section on the homestarruner site?
Crazy. Those brothers Chaps also amaze me. They kind of remind me of the "Where Are My Pants" guys too, because of the neverending creativity.
It's about 3 navigations away from the "website" e-mail.
1) To Strong Bad's website (link at the end of the e-mail)
2) To Strong Sad's blog
3) Somewhere on the blog
And that's only if I'm remembering correctly.
Post a Comment
<< Home