Tuesday, October 25, 2005

GNSWHEOLFMYACTDTFLWAG

This is the acronym on the front of a birthday card I got from Grandpa Ghormley. It's a little game he plays with all the grandkids and some other people too (probably). He wants us to guess the acronym before looking at the solution inside. He probably does close to 412 of these a year when all's said and done. I know I love getting them and I'm sure everyone else does too, but more than that, I know he's just as happy giving the cards. That's just the way he is.

He loves little puzzles and wordplay. I think it appeals to the engineer in him. He finds little problems and figures out how to fix them and then wants to share what he found. His natural inquisitive nature and exploration of the world and how he loves to share what he finds is inspiring.

He loves making people think. I can't tell you how many times we've gone over to their house only to hear:

"Sam, I have an...architectual question for you later on" or
"Joe, I have an electrical problem for you to think about" or
"Can you guess what this week's theological question is"

or any number of other things. You have to be on your toes around grandpa Rog.

I like to think his creativity and ingenuity filtered down through my dad got mixed in with some good old Yahnig work ethic and dedication from my mom to help form my personality. It's time I stopped and said thanks. And the best way?

My best guess, is:

Grandson named Sam who has enlisted o l f military y and can toot da trumpet for Japan, what a guy.

I know it's not that complete, heck it's not even that good, but that's all I could come up with in about 10 minutes. Who can do better? I'll post the correct answer tomorrow or so.

8 Comments:

At 18:04, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I LOVED how you described Grandpa's word games and quick mind! I thought "What a great title for a blog" and I got stumped guessing. I think you have a pretty good guess!
J

 
At 20:11, Blogger Anne said...

I've been sitting here for five minutes trying to figure out your card and I'm stuck. Has anyone else noticed that these word puzzles get harder every year? Grandpa Rog doesn't stop at 3 letters anymore (He used to just put "To our favorite GNA" which translated to "To our favorite Granddaughter named Anne.") I can't remember exactly what my last one was, but it was about as long as Sam's and had about 10 "A"s in it.

Tricky. And fun.

 
At 08:57, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, here is what I'm guessing the answer is. It's not perfect, but hey: Grandson Named Sam Who Has Eaten Only Lettuce For Military Y (reasons) And Can Toot Da Trumpet For Life What A Guy.

By the way, anyone else notice in Sam's guess he says "for Japan" when in the title the japan letter is actually an "L"? just wondering.

Joey Ghorms

 
At 11:47, Blogger Anne said...

I noticed that as well, JG.

I like your "has eaten only lettuce for military reasons" section. Every once in a while I think of Sam making that salad "shake" while he was on his crazy diet. (For those that don't know, he put spinach and other salad vegetables in the blender with a little bit of salad dressing... then he DRANK IT!! Ew!!)

 
At 14:03, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Grandson Named Sam Who Has Endured One Large Fistful Man You Are Courageous To Da Total Family Limbs What A Guy.

you know, like limbs of the family tree. i think grandpa's clever mind was thinking a little abstractly here, but i'm pretty sure i'm on his same page.

daniel

 
At 15:05, Blogger Sam G. said...

I feel like a dope, but that last L is actually a J. Umm, that was a typo. I'll post the solution in 24.

Until then, these are making me laugh. Thanks for the input.

 
At 05:40, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Alright, here is my attempt:

Grandson Named Sam Who Has Explained Oriental Life For Most Y'all And Can Toot Da Trumpet For
Japan What A Guy.

This has to be close.
John C.

 
At 15:41, Blogger Sam G. said...

The solution:

Grandson named Sam who has enriched our lives for many years and continues to do that from Japan. What a guy.

Aww, shucks.

Again, thanks for the card Grandpa and thank you Grandma for the very nice note inside. It's always nice to hear from home.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home