Sunday, January 21, 2007

Raising the Bar

I respond to challenges and goals. If I'm not motivated by a definite goal, I have a disturbing tendency to let things slide. I don't think I'm alone in this, but hopefully I'm willing to do someting about it.

Over break I ran a few times. Nothing too much, but enough to keep the muscles working. The fact I didn't have to run causes a few questions, mostly like, why on earth are you running if you don't have to? A few answers to that I suppose. One, it helps for army reasons. Keeps the weight under control and the PT test scores high. Two, it's good for life health. People complain that it's hard on joints, but I haven't had a problem yet. Until I do I think running is the best thing for health. But lastly (three), I have found an enjoyment in running that I never thought I'd have. All the same, when my Mom asked me if I'd ever run a marathon I pretty much laughed at the idea. Heck no. 26.whatever miles? No thanks.

Last night I went out to a bar type place with SFCs Lynch and Baker and a few Japanese acquaintances of theirs. Definitely a fun time and I tend to respect the opinions of that company quite highly. SFC Lynch is quite a runner, has been for longer than I've been alive, and the conversation drifted around to ground pounding eventually. He said I should run a marathon with a few bandsmen in November. I laughed in my practiced manner, but he pressed the issue. So...

I think I'm going to give it a shot. The longer I thought about it, the more sense it makes. It's a goal, it's 10 months away, and it'll be good to train. Will I actually run it? Who knows, but I'm going to train like I am. Why not? So, anyone else out there run marathons? Any advice?

I'm sort of new at this.

4 Comments:

At 12:38, Blogger Anne said...

I challenge you to blog at least once a week this semester.

 
At 02:04, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds exciting! I'm not sure if you have a training program worked out yet, but even if you do, check out: http://www.halhigdon.com/

I've used his programs before, and have had a lot of success using his strategies and program ideas. He provides a real nice structure and pointers along the way.

Good luck!

Andy

 
At 17:27, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I, too, love running, but I have been a slacker due to many reasons. One is that it is so hot here! Another is that it is hard to find a safe place for a lone woman to run. Lastly, I get all sweaty and have to get ready for the next thing.

I admire your courage to run for life and for trying this marathon! Did you know my dad, your very uncle, ran a marathon when I was little? He may have some tips for you! Enjoy the run and again, thanks for blogging!

 
At 23:24, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think training for a marathon would be really interesting. I think I'd be tempted myself, if such a thing were within the scope of my fitness universe. Best of luck on this endeavor. I hope to hear an occasional update on your progress.

(Jessica, I'm pretty sure I remember the T-shirt your dad got from that marathon.)

Bess

 

Post a Comment

<< Home