Thursday, June 08, 2006

The mouthpiece and the bell

You've been Flickr'd.

It's June. It's that month between Memorial Day and the Fourth of July that will always hold a special place in most everyone's seasonal chronometer. Even though summer doesn't really start until, what, June 23rd or so, every kid who has been to school knows that the beginning of June is the real kickoff of summer, which is why I don't really approve of these weird new schedules that puts kids out of school at the beginning of May or the middle of June, but that's a different post. So anyway, that feeling of "done" that we all have from our school days spills over into what we feel about June as adults. Well, maybe. That's how I think about it anyway. But the same also sort of holds true for the Army.

Memorial Day really kicks off the season of the Army where we have a lot of events, ceremonies, changes of commands (change of commands? changes of command?), and other assorted celebrations. Here in Japan that means we act a little bit more like a standard Army band and have a lot of gigs on post. Specifically for trumpet players, it means a lot of bugle-type jobs including the ever popular/ubiquitous Taps.

Taps is something of a watermark for trumpet players. It's 24 notes, there are no hard rhythms, no valves to worry about, everybody knows exactly what it's supposed to sound like. It's just you, your trumpet, and how you play, no excuses, death or glory. It's also such a noble piece imbued with such huge significance. When asked to play it for a memorial day service, it's no longer a simple piece that you play, it's a tribute to the all fallen heroes of our country, so it's an honor, but also a huge responsibility. You want to play it well and make a fitting tribute, and yet it's so easy to screw it up even just ever so slightly. Yeah, screwing up a piece honoring your fallen brothers? That makes you feel terrific. So, I had to play it for the Memorial Day Run. That's the way the Army celebrates things, by running around. Before you ask, it went fine, but that's what got me really thinking about that whole paragraph up there and the one to follow.

Taps also seems to represent the extremes of trumpet philosophy (for lack of a better term). On the one hand, it is very easy. Anyone that says Taps is difficult is lying. But on the other hand, playing Taps is very hard. Analysis of tone, vibrational frequencies of the lips, tuning of the harmonic series, breath support, clean slurring, control of excitement and nerves...it's all there. I've seen (and personally felt) the effects of over focus on the difficulties of trumpet playing and it's not a pretty thing. As someone wise probably once said and I'll now misquote "Analysis is the first step to paralysis." But on the other hand, if you are so focused on the ease and effortless side of things, whatever you're playing will sound just thrown out and half baked. But is the answer to play somewhere in the middle? Ha! As if I would ever support a theory as easy as that.

Phil Collins (The principal trumpet of the Cincinnati Symphony and one of my teachers at CCM, not the drummer for Genesis) is one of the wisest trumpet gurus I've had the pleasure of learning from. The way he is able to communicate simply, directly, and with surgical precision is nothing short of amazing. And his playing? Good gracious. There's a reason he has held one of the most prestigious trumpet jobs in the world for over 30 years. Alright, enough hero worship. His take on the spectrum is that we shouldn't waste any time with anything less than our absolute best sound.

Warming up? Best possible tone. Perfect attacks every time. Didn't happen? Work on it.

Scales and Articulation studies? Melodic phrases, even tone in all dynamics and all registers. Didn't happen? Work on it.

Etudes? Not about expanding technique. Musicality, tone, and perfect fundamentals come first.

So there's not a lot of leeway with that approach. It really does work too...in the glass bubble of conservatories and high powered orchestras. While I don't disagree, I've found myself doing something a little different in the Army bands. For better or worse, I save my good playing for when I need it. If I have to march around in drill band all morning, play a rehearsal in jazz band, and have a brass quintet gig in the afternoon, that's a lot of abuse. Is it worth trying to be totally musical and waste my energy striving for a full excellent sound in drill band? Pshaw. But does this off the cuff sort of playing "infect" my approach when I sit down and actually try to play musically? I don't think so, but you can't fairly judge while sitting in the witness chair.

8 Comments:

At 00:21, Blogger Keith said...

Taps is so simple and so moving. I can choke up just thinking about it.

Thanks for this post. I love hearing you think about playing and performing.

 
At 00:26, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love this guy's philosophy about warm-ups. If it's not about making it count, striving for a better sound every time, why bother? I'm thinking especially of vocal warm-ups, since that's what I listen to every day. Most students' eyes glaze over when the warm-up starts, but if you're not thinking in terms of personal best, then boredom and faulty technique follow. I know I'm a little idealistic, but when I see kids "saving it" for performance, I'm not impressed.
--JEG

 
At 12:48, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You really helped the non-trumpet player, like myself (Jessica, not Nate), enter in to your experience as an Army Trumpet Taps Player. Wow, great job putting your heart into it!

 
At 12:59, Blogger Anne said...

You remind me of Vizzini.

"On the one hand, it is easy. Anyone who says Taps is difficult is lying [so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of me]. But on the other hand, Taps is very hard [so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of you]."

Truly, you have a dizzying intellect.

:o)

 
At 13:28, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sam, I really liked reading this entry of yours. I remember my senior year of high school and my trumpet friend was asked to play taps on Memorial Day in the cemetary right after our marching band played in the parade. And, he messed up a little, and of course it was obvious because its "Taps", and I felt so bad for him and was thankful it was not me who was playing! Nate

 
At 15:39, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very nice site! » »

 
At 23:24, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cool blog, interesting information... Keep it UP Touch electric wheelchairs daouk wheelchair model http://www.acuvue-bifocal-contact-lens.info/Wheelchair-carrier.html Portable dishwasher twin cities mn http://www.land-rover-standorte.info Personal portable humidifiers home insurance pittsburgh epson ink cartridges uk Online+direct+advertising Home security equipment wholesalers new alfa romeo brea Dome antiques victorian chairs antique chests bookcases http://www.generic-cialis-4.info/extreme4x4wheelchair.html Improve golf swing ft worth lasik Camping car d occasion bontril delivered on saturdays Tznius maternity clothes

 
At 20:38, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been looking for sites like this for a long time. Thank you! »

 

Post a Comment

<< Home