Monday, June 12, 2006

A big coincidence?

Three Flickr sets. One righ'cha, 'nother chere, t'other ove'chonh.

A little rant on coincidii. A certain picture in one of those sets has a nice coincidence in there. I was tempted to call it a big coincidence, but then I was reminded of Seinfeld. Can there be a magnitude of a coincidence? Is it a bigger coincidence if tomorrow I run into some guy I knew in grade school in Lincoln, Nebraska halfway across the world in Japan after not thinking about him for 20 years than if I run into a coworker during off hours at Target? And if you think about, isn't our day full of inconsequential coincidences? Isn't that what life is; a person's co-interaction with the world? So shouldn't important coincidences be called big coincidences? It seems that way, but I have a better solution that will clear up all this nonsense.

The next time you have a coincidence, do not describe its magnitude, rather describe it's quality.

Meeting a long lost friend - A Fantastic Coincidence
Being completely lost and wandering exactly where you're supposed to be - A Lucky Coincidence
Speed traps - An Unfortunate Coincidence

And so on. Heck, many of you probably do this already. I just thought it to myself and thought I'd think it up on here too.

7 Comments:

At 22:20, Blogger Anne said...

It's funny to imagine going up to some friends and saying, "I had an important coincidence today."

But I get what you're saying.

 
At 07:35, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I liked the first flickr set! We went there for part of our honeymoon, but we were too late to take the time to go up the mountain or cable car. At least, I am almost positive it was--there's not another Tori Gate is there? J

 
At 13:40, Blogger Sam G. said...

I'm pretty sure this was the same place. As soon as I heard Mark say something about a sunken torii gate, something in my mind clicked and I said, you know, I think this is where Jessica and Nate went.

It is a wonderful place to visit. I think we visit Hiroshima specifically at a later date. There's a lot more of that city I'd like to see, but the island is a good start.

 
At 21:22, Anonymous Anonymous said...

There's this funny (strange) movie called "I Heart Huckabee's" that deals with coincidences. The main character spends most of the movie trying to figure out why he keeps seeing this one person, and what the coincidence means for him. Your post made me think of that--it's definitely worth checking it out!

 
At 02:44, Blogger Sam G. said...

Definitely. I enjoyed Huckabees quite a bit and the whole "coincidence guy" storyline was just about my favorite part.

 
At 05:46, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Where did you find it? Interesting read Bearings 1970 dodge charger storage devices for computers impotence

 
At 04:45, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been looking for sites like this for a long time. Thank you! » »

 

Post a Comment

<< Home