Monday, July 10, 2006

Push ups, Pinnacle, and Plague

Starting from last Friday. I retook my PT test in hopes of improving my score as it counts for the promotion board to a certain extent and also with the goal of becoming exempt to the daily required work outs. It always seems that everything goes great except one event. This time, my run was off of where it should have been by a minute, dog gone it. I was quite pleased with my push up score, though. 80 in 2 minutes. That's a darn good score no matter who you are.

Saturday was a big day and like so many good days, it started with a long nap. I woke up around 9ish, went to feed the dog and cat (more on that later), and took a nap from 10 to 2. Why such strange behavior? Because me and a couple of guys spent all night climbing mount Fuji. Oh yes, that mountain has nothing on me. Very cool, but probably the single most exhausting 10 hours I've ever had in my life. More details to come with pictures and everything.

And now today. I went to Yokota Air Base to receive my smallpox vaccination. Yup, they stuck a pox-like virus right in my arm and I'm going to have some fun symptoms for the next 2-3 weeks. Even though naturally occurring smallpox has been officially eradicated, there is some unaccounted for smallpox samples floating around. Who has them? Hopefully NOT people like North Korea, but since I'm headed over that way toward the end of the year (most likely (more later)) I have to get poked.

The immediate future. I'm studying pretty hard for the promotion board. Not really hard because I just don't think I'm that far off. I've got a month and I've already got a pretty good handle on most of the material. Plus I've got a lot of free time to work with. Starting today, the band is officially on block leave. That means all but about 5-10 of us are gone. Those that stay accumulate vacation time and have an easy schedule for the most part. It's a good time to catch up on practice, work, study, and sleep.

Guy in the back of the room: *cough Blogging cough*

Alright, that's enough from you. Any other smart remarks can be entered in the comments section. I will ignore each in turn.

3 Comments:

At 20:44, Blogger Anne said...

Are you not supposed to blog? What's with that guy?

And, THANKS, for piquing your readers' interests in a number of mysterious subjects, but not paying off. I'm anxiously awaiting more information.

 
At 03:43, Blogger Keith said...

ingore me next, please.

 
At 12:51, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sam! I've been watching your blog for nearly a month here! It's great to see you have been having adventures!

It's funny, if you click on the link to Nate's brother, Stephen's blog you will find that he just did a 10 hour hike on one of the Three sisters mountains in Oregon. I find that ironic! I'd like to see your pictures and hear your stories!

Good luck on the promotion and great job on the push ups! Wow, I feel like a whimp when I think of how many I could do in one minute (and I don't think I'd even last one minute!).

So does your schedule hold any trips to the Philippines?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home