The will expressed
Sorry for the extra long hiatus. I was away for a week in Kure/Hiroshima. A good time and a picture set will follow soon enough. Basically I'm sitting on a whole mess of pictures from several cool excursions I've had recently. Once I get them prepped and ready, look for some updates here.
In the meantime, I have a few posts "in the works" but what ain't finished, ain't posted and makes for very poor (read: not at all) reading. So just a quick linky post for fun.
It's probably been around forever and I'm probably the last to really follow it, but I'm taking a shine to something called free running. It's a quasi-sport that is relatively extreme but it somehow transcends that level. It is more of a feat.
The concept is simple, run around and do cool stuff. Think of it as the best parts of gymnastics, Jackie Chan, and Sonic the Hedgehog. This leads to some pretty incredible stunts, but to me free running is not about the stunt, but it is what follows. At the time when a gymnast would raise their hands signaling accomplishment, the free runner takes off running to the next thing. In this is a certain purity of action that is not hindered by analysis or memory.
But enough. The best way to tell you is to show you. Here are (how does that work? I wanted to put here's, but wouldn't it be here're? That just looks wrong) some of my favorite clips:
1-A little too dramatic, but it is very cool
2-To me this captures the essence of free running better
3-It is a sport for the young. This guy seems quite young at that
And here's something else completely. Some of the very best flash animation this side of Homestarrunner I've ever seen. It's just so darn cute. I like the second one 100% more than the first in terms of story, animation, and music, but go in order just so you "get it".
1-There she is
2-Cake Dance
click "download this movie" and they should work fine. Alternatively, go directly to the site and click around a bit.
SamBakZa.net
Have fun.

7 Comments:
I don't have much to say except that that... was AWEsome! Thanks for sharin'. I'm always amazed that there are original, excellent things out there still to be discovered.
I'd seen the second free running video before... thank you Google Video.
All I have to say is, I don't want to see the outtake reel.
Free running is the same thing as parkour, which began in France. There were a couple of movies - the "Yamakasi" series - that capitalized on the trend, and starred many of the "sport"'s creators. And last year, a movie called Banlieue 13 came out, that really capitalized on the trend.
Here are a few clips that I like...
A scene from Banlieue 13
Kind of cheesy in places, but also some sweet moves
A video of Cyril Rafaelli and David Belle, two of parkour's founders
Another video of Cyril Rafaelli
Like you said, Sam... I love the purity of action, of simply watching the human body run, jump, etc. It's quite beautiful, in its own way.
Oh, I can do that.
Banlieue 13, eh?
I think we have the spiritual successor to "Gymkata" here. Just kidding, of course. Very cool links, thanks.
And maybe I should actually watch "Gymkata" before I start throwing out these comparisons.
Heh... I've only seen part of Gymkata - I think it's where the main character uses his sweet gymnatics skills to take on some zombie villagers and their devil-worshiping high priest... or something like that.
Can you imagine playing football... or rather, ANY sport... with these guys? I can't.
Post a Comment
<< Home