Saturday, March 25, 2006

So what's the deal with sleep?

This post may ramble, but the same could be said for many things.

The facts are these:

1) I had a good 6 hour rest last night
2) I woke up, ran about 1.5 miles, and took a one hour nap
3) Had a fun day at work
4) Took a two hour nap
5) Had 24 fl oz of diet coke
6) Went out on the town and drank about 50-60 fl oz of Ulong Tea
7) Came back home and have not slept since (is now approx. 8:00 a.m.)
8) I actually feel pretty good right now

Something is not quite right, and I think somewhere around 4-6 was where I went wrong. In any event, my mind has not shut down. I've been reading and thinking and cursing my terrible pillow and just getting frustrated at not sleeping when I'm "supposed to". Well, if my body doesn't want it, who am I to argue, right?

So one of the things I was thinking about was time travel. I don't know why, it just crops up sometimes. I think one of the things that fascinates me most about time travel is there is no standard way to approach it. All time travel stories work differently. How they treat the space/time continuum, the speed of travel, the mechanics of travel, the paradox rules, etc.

Now for the fun part, my two models for time travel. Both different and quite nearly opposite.

The first one I've had for quite a while. It's kind of based on a story idea that sort of came from my older sister (or maybe I just out and out stole it, I don't remember). The basic model is that it's really easy to travel into the future. It's sort of just a stasis bubble where you set a timer and come out x number of years later. The story (if it can even be called that) is that a couple of 19th-cent. scientists figure this out, don't pass along their notes, and their research is lost until they pop into current day Cambridge or some such. Their basic idea was that by the time they came out, they would have access to technology that would help solve the "going back in time" problem. The joke/charm of the whole thing is that these two guys have got their acts together. They pop out in modern time amidst a bunch of slack jawed, overpaid physics profs who have no idea how they managed this thing in the first place, proceed to conduct their research and pop back in time never to be heard from again leaving a feeling of "did that just happen?" sort of stunned disbelief. Fun stuff.

The one I thought up last night I like quite a bit. The basic model of this one is that time travel is to a specific point in time. Therefore travel to the future is impossible since there are no established points in time. It is possible to go to any point in history, but the foreknowledge is that your presence in the past destroys the future as you know it. The future may be very similar, but the exact return point no longer exists. Time travel is a one way affair. I think this mechanic has some very interesting potential and I think I have a pretty good story cooked up already. Yeah, I do this every once in a while. I think "how hard can it be to write a little short story? I have the idea, right?" Then I quickly realize "Oh yeah, this is REALLY FREAKING HARD." I do really like this premise though...I'll let you know how it turns out.

So that was about 1 hour of time where I wasn't sleeping. There's plenty more where that came from.

I just don't get it.

6 Comments:

At 22:16, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your premise of one-way time travel is interesting. It's always made me wonder how people might react outside of their own culture. How much does our evironment dictate our actions? And does knowledge of history inherently cause us to make better decisions? Ah, it's got to be an integrity question. This reminds me of Bess's book, "To Say Nothing of the Dog."
Too bad about the lost night's sleep. I've been there and know your frustration. I'm guessing the tea was the culprit.
--JEG

 
At 14:21, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting ideas about time travel...I confess that is not one of the things I muse on when I can't sleep. Most of the time I get these brilliant ideas when I'm in between waking and sleeping...and feel like a complete idiot in the morning when the brilliant idea turns out to make absolutely no sense at all! :)
Gina

 
At 17:41, Anonymous Anonymous said...

See my comment on previous post

 
At 23:53, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the credit, bro, but that fist story idea is about 80 percent yours. My idea, I think, (and it's not all that original) was just the concept of a time traveling party from the 19th century coming to the present day. I thought it would be a fun idea if they, not the modern characters, were the ones who knew what they were doing and understood the technology. The time travel mechanics are yours.

BESS

 
At 03:56, Blogger Keith said...

"Don't you guys *watch* the show?" Something bad always happens. It is impossible to cover all the bases. There will be stuff you didn't think of. And NOW you're in a pretty fix.

One word: Primer.

I warned you. Ahead of time. Or actually in time. Depending on ...

 
At 10:09, Blogger Anne said...

Every time I read the title of this post, I imagine it in a bad Jerry Seinfeld impression.

...And then people trying to pass off bad bits as valid make me think of Homer Simpson yelling out "Don't you hate pants?" to Krusty.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home