Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Playtime is Fun

Can't remember if I mentioned it or not, but hey, here it is anyway...

I'm now a published journalist or so. The Torii newspaper is a weekly little rag put out by camp Zama and it's all of about 4 pages long. They were woefully undermanned at the time and they wanted to cover a training session the band was getting. I got put on the job because that's sort of in my job description (When you're a specialist, EVERYTHING is in your job description). Anyway, it was fun, not too hard, and I even got my name in the paper.

Here's what it looked like:

Army band learns Japanese cultural norms
By Spc. Samuel Ghormley
Special to Torii from 296th U.S. Army Band

One of the first things Soldiers are told when they arrive in Japan is that they are here as guests. Keeping this idea in mind helps keep Soldiers on their best behavior, maintaining good host nation relations. In theory, this might seem quite simple, but after some time, it quickly becomes apparent that while the Japanese people are friendly and helpful hosts, some of their cultural norms and traditions can seem opposed to what most Americans are used to, especially outside the gate.

Tatsuo Hayakawa, community relations specialist, G-5, U.S. Army Japan, led a discussion March 14 with the 296th Army Band, U.S. Army Japan, entitled, "How do you deal with intercultural conflict?"

Hayakawa's main role is to maintain a positive relationship between the U.S. Army community and the citizens of Japan. Hayakawa studied intercultural conflict in depth and led the discussion at the request of the USARJ Band.

"I hope that my graduate studies in intercultural communication will bring more resources to soldiers," he said.

Soldiers' primary missions may be their military jobs, but every Soldier in Japan is an ambassador. This is especially true for the USARJ Band. Their schedule consists of many events throughout Japan, covering Nagasaki to Sapporo. In many cases, the impression the Army Band gives to the local Japanese citizens on tour may be the only impression they will have of the U.S. Army. Therefore, it is important for Soldiers to stay informed and ready to present the U.S. Army's best to Japan.

The main focus of the training was to first help Soldiers find their individual preferences when dealing with conflict, then help them to recognize the different approaches others may use. By first knowing their own communication style, they will be able to recognize other's preferred style of conflict resolution and having an understanding of cultural biases which will help them improve their interactions with Japanese citizens. Many USARJ Band members thought this class was valuable.

"It is valuable to get this cultural training from the Japanese perspective," said Sgt. 1st Class Robert Lynch, USARJ Band senior sergeant, "but especially from Hayakawa-san who has studied for many years in America and has a clear knowledge of our culture as well."

Hayakawa was glad that the training was as effective as it was and believes classes like this could be beneficial to other units as well.

"As an MLC, to be requested to lead the discussion was an honor," he said. "I was more than happy to provide the time."

4 Comments:

At 19:52, Blogger Anne said...

I don't think that's it. ("Working Women..."?)

Unless it was "lightly edited" from a story about a training session into a story about working women...

 
At 00:00, Blogger Sam G. said...

Awww, pickled cabbage! They must have replaced it with "this weeks" article by now. Thanks for noting the change. I'll remove the link and type in the text here sometime tomorrow.

 
At 06:34, Blogger Anne said...

Awww, cinnamon and gravy!

 
At 20:42, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, Sam that was wonderfully written! I like hearing your published works! (Or should I say, reading). I'm glad to see the U.S. is putting the best foot forward through the band.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home