The Future
What am I supposed to do? The question weighs hard on all of us and there isn't much of a satisfactory answer. It's too easy to plan out your life in your mind, the way you see it panning out. Heck, I've done it myself quite a few times. So far, I've been about as far off the mark as you can be. There's no way to know jack squat about the future. That's what I've concluded.
That being said, here's what I see happening in the nearish future.
Near future
I'll probably be promoted in the early part of the summer. Promotions are nice. A few extra responsibilities, some extra money to save, and a free trip to Korea for more army training, hooah*. For those of you keeping score that will make me Sergeant Ghormley, or E-5 (enlisted level 5) on the pay scale. Other than my uniform, not a whole lot will change.
A bit further down the road
I'm putting in paperwork for an extension to my assignment in Japan. It's something I've thought about for a while and right now it seems like the best move. As far as army music posts go, this is probably the best work/pay/play environment you're going to find. I'm set right now to go until August 2007 and if it goes through, my extension will put me in until August 2008.
Back yonder another piece
After my time here is done, I haven't decided what to do. I think I do enjoy the army bands, but I don't know if I really want to do it for 20 years. I still have in mind auditioning for the military select bands in Washington D.C., but who knows with that. If that doesn't happen and I decide to stay on in the military, I'll probably try to stay overseas. There's a nice post in Heidelberg Germany that has a good band. It'd be fun to sign on and do Europe for a few years. I'm even tempted to check out Korea. I hear the life is very army, but when else will I go to Korea (other than a month for NCO training)?
So that's where I see myself in 10 years, sort of. Again, I'm of the mind that you get about as much choice in life as a boat in a storm. You can set a course, but the wind and the waves have a lot to say about where you end up.
*The spell checker offers "hooey" as the correction for "hooah". They don't know how close they hit sometimes.

4 Comments:
I must have made about 20 life plans during college alone. ("This time: this is IT!") Today I feel about as much in the dark as it's possible to be, and I've come to very much the same conclusion as you, Sam. God only knows where I'm headed! But that's good, because He always steers me much better than I would myself. Looking back, my ideas tend always to suck if I consider them in their fully-developed form. God is more creative, wiser, and definitely more in control of what actually comes to pass than I am. Aside from offering the occasional suggestion :o) I try to just leave Him to His work.
Kate, am I remembering you wrong? It seems like it was rare to hear you say that something "sucks." I don't object, but it surprised me.
Yeah, I love being able to trust God to work his master plan for my life. Next question, though - do I always trust him? (The answer she come-a back: No.) But I'm trying.
That's possibly my favorite Chico quote!
And yes, you remember your long-lost sister correctly. I usually only use it to give an extra "oomph" to what I'm trying to convey. In this instance, it just seemed to fit. I don't think I'd use "sucks" on my own blog, but apparently I've nothing against doing so on my brother's. :o)
Sam, Now I see what Grandpa's email was referring to. So you have it set until 2007 but you're thinking ahead. If you stay in Asia maybe you will eventually get to visit us in the Philippines! It is a lot warmer down here.
Post a Comment
<< Home