Tag?
First, I'd like to say I generally disapprove of these kinds of things, but I'll quickly follow that up with, I almost always take part when people ask (thanks a lot dad). This is no exception and I'd say this one is actually a bit better than most others I've done.
10 years ago: Sept. 29, 1995 - I was getting started as a junior in High School. My junior year was probably my favorite one at the High. I was playing some varsity football on a, hmmm, underpowered team, but I did enjoy my time at right offensive guard. I was playing in marching band and jazz band, both during a time of good personnel. I think this was my second year of trumpet lessons from Dean Haist. I credit 1994-6 as the years that changed me from a decent player to a player that might make a living as a trumpeter.
5 years ago: Sept. 29, 2000 - My first senior year at UNL. By this time I had pretty much decided that I was not going to be an engineer and was actually pursuing a couple of schools about starting a masters in music. Later that year I would take trips to Rice and Cincinnati to do some auditions. In the meantime I think I was taking courses in Metallic Thin Films, Heat Transfer, and Kinematics or something. If you wanted to know anything about what I learned, I'm not sure I could help you without revisiting my old books for a week or two. Musicwise I was playing in the UNL Symphony and Marching Band. That was a fun combination.
1 year ago: Sept. 29, 2004 - About the time I started getting really frustrated with losing weight getting ready for the Army. I was pretty good about my diet and I spent 2-3 hours working out everyday and still saw little progress even though it was taking place. Here I was with a masters degree and no job living out of my parent's basement. Truth be told I was happy enough to have time to stay on my horn and visit family and friends, but something about it just didn't feel right. What kept me most sane was the gigs I would play with Seven. That's about the only time I really felt like a real musician. Actually, was Sept. 29th the date of our great Zoo Bar gig? It might have been. *WEBSEARCH* The gig was actually on Oct. 2nd, but that's pretty close, right?
Yesterday: A long day with the 296th Army Band. This week we've been doing a technical inspection meaning this Captain guy comes and looks at our operation and makes sure our band is doing what it should. Yesterday he wanted to examine all the groups so my day was something like this: Sectionals from 8-9, concert band 9-1030, brass quintet 1030-1130, lunch (thank goodness), stage band 1-230, and I topped it off with some duets with a buddy of mine. That's about the most playing I've done in a day for quite a while.
5 snacks I enjoy: Diet coke, yogurt with nuts, homemade cookies, reese's pieces, chips and salsa.
5 songs I know all the words to: PDQ Bach - 12 quite heavenly songs, Weird Al Show Theme, Monty Python - The Lumberjack Song, uhh...probably some more but I can't think of them right now.
5 things I'd do with $100 million: For real? Boring stuff like invest, donate to organizations, buy presents for friends and family, trumpets for me, etc. For make believe? Buy an F-16 and some flying lessons, start a collection of artwork, build a mansion, travel, etc.
5 places I'd run away to: From the law? Switzerland, duh. For fun? Australia, Austria, Tuscany, Pac Northwest.
5 things I'd never wear: Cowboy Boots, cowboy Hat, my hair long (I don't think I could anymore anyway), gold chains, ear muffs.
5 favorite TV shows: Mystery Science Theater 3000, The Simpsons, A&E Jeeves and Wooster, Seinfeld, Monty Python's Flying Circus.
5 biggest joys: My family, music, art, good ideas/designs in practice, grace.
5 favorite toys: My computer, my trumpets (are they a toy?), my CD/DVD collection, my PS2, systematic imagination.
5 people I want to pass this on to: As I said, I don't approve of this so I won't explicitly name names (that starts the whole guilt thing). However, if you're reading this and haven't done this yet, consider yourself implicitly tagged but under absolutely no obligation.

9 Comments:
Just thought you should know that the mental image of you with long hair, wearing cowboy boots, cowboy hat, gold chains, and ear muffs, is one I'll treasure forever. Truth is, I think you could pull it off.
BESS
... especially in Japan.
Dad
PS sorry for the "tag" thing. I don't like them much, either. But I'm have a pretty wide party pooper streak ...
Yeah, Dad is have a pretty wide party pooper streak. [Thanks to the "All your base" translators who helped with Dad's post].
I also laughed out loud at the things you would never wear. HiLARious.
Well, I laughed out loud at Anne's response to Dad's post using the "all your base" translation. I'm still are giggling.
--JEG
I love the Ghormleys. I laughed at ALL of these comments (and the initial post).
Long live the Satellite of Love!
Sam, I know you're really really busy... ahem... but your readership would really appreciate a new post.
I am properly rebuked. To make it up, I'm going to try to put up two tomorrow. One of general interest, the other maybe not so much.
Keep watching the skies. (what's that from, anyway? I can't remember.)
"Keep watching the skies"...
I'm associating that with Mulder on the X-Files, but I'm not really sure. (It's been YEARS since I've seen the X-Files.)
Post a Comment
<< Home