You're not Paranoid if they really are all out to get you

I ended watching a lot of anime while at home. I did enough other useful stuff that I don't feel to bad about it, but at the same time...Shakespeare, Dickens...Seuss (The triple, part of our television heritage). Oh well.
The other series that I began (finished up here in JPN) was Satoshi Kon's "Paranoia Agent". I've heard mixed reviews about this, but I've really enjoyed the rest of Satoshi-san's work ("Millennium Actress", "Perfect Blue", and "Tokyo Godfathers") so I picked it up.
Goodness (<-- The sort of shocked, worried, and yet impressed kind)
This anime is a beast. First off I will say that I absolutely love the look of all his anime offerings. They have a very polished look with good clean lines, highly detailed and realistic backgrounds, and character models that look like actual people. I don't know if this is a function of Satoshi-san or the animation studio (Madhouse), but either way, keep up the good work, yo.
The basic plot is about a series of brutal street attacks carried out by a phantom kid who rides around on roller blades and whacks people on the head with a bat. The story more or less follows two detectives as they try to piece together any kind of sense in all these crimes. It's a dark look into the tortured human existence. The senseless violence is bad enough, but all the victims are dealing with even bigger problems. Prostitution, Extortion, Suicide, Depression, etc. It's like they were having a sale at the dysfunction tent and Satoshi-san just couldn't say no. Very gritty. If think you might have trouble with this, go ahead and stay away for your own sake.
Once you get past this initial stage, I think the actual drama is quite good for the first half of the series. The drama delves deep into the obsessive nature of the detectives and is good at tracking the victims and making each of them feel human. It's hard to describe, but there is a definite heaviness about everything. It just feels like everything is happening at the end of 12 hour shift on a hot muggy day toward the end of August. Everything the characters do is labored and tired. Creating such a strong feeling of dread and gloom is not easy and it goes a long way into making this a good series.
That being said, once the second half of the series hits, everything goes crazy. What was before a nice long story arc that seemed to be driving to a certain point, now becomes a series of semi-related, odd-ball, meta, stand alone episodes. Why the sudden shift? The ending is also quite odd. It changes from a psychologically driven show about paranoia into something...else. It turned the products of the mind into something a bit more physical, but to what degree? After watching it once, I don't even really have an opinion because, frankly, I don't get it. Call me stupid, but I just don't. One thing I do know, the ending felt like a cop out. Rather than solve the problems in the interesting psychological realm that characterized most of the series, Satoshi-san reverts to crude matter to finish things.
I suppose it's really no accident that things end the way they do. The anime does reuse some familiar Satoshi themes. It takes the psychological crime story from Perfect Blue and blends it with the reality bending, stream of consciousness directing of Millenium Actress. Even now that sounds pretty cool, but in execution it's like oil and water.
A final verdict? Technically, one of the best looking/directed animes I've ever seen. Storywise, I have to say it did not make me feel good and there were definite flaws. It's hard to grade it much past that.
I am sure of something though. After watching the show I don't think I could ever own one of those Maromi dolls (see pic) even though I think they are quite a cute design. Just seeing it sit on the desk would be enough to give me the jibblies.

6 Comments:
"It's like they were having a sale at the dysfunction tent and Satoshi-san just couldn't say no."
May I steal this sometime?
If you were going to recommend one (1) anime for Jason M.'s movie group, what would it be? I like My Friend Totoro on the sweet and happy side. But what about something else that doesn't end in apocalyptic weird? And maybe Jason's group already tried an anime -- enough is enough?
There's a bunch of ways to go on this and I know Jason himself has seen more Anime than me and has probably already considered/done this for the group.
My personal feelings are that all the Miyazaki/Ghibli films are quite enjoyable, but not that discussable. They're fun and friendly but pretty basic. For an actual discussion film, I'd probably suggest either "Millenium Actress" or "Tokyo Godfathers". Both by Satoshi Kon, both entertaining, and I believe they would lend themselves to interesting discussions.
Another possibility would be "Ghost in the Shell". People might go for that a little bit more since it's very Matrix-ey (predates the Matrix). But it brings up some interesting thoughts about humanity, the soul, and the mechanized future.
There's other possibilities in the shorter format as well but that's another discussion probably.
And feel free to quote anything you hear me say because it's most likely quoted from something else. That particular quote is loosely based on an MST3K line (Tom: It's sort of like a malpractice circus going on.)
But yours is so, so much better, Sam!
"Incidentally, the jibblies currently occupy slot 11 on my Bottom Ten List."
Actually, I have been thinking giving some thought as to the kinds of anime to show in movie group. After the series on heroism in cinema winds down around summer's end, I've thought about maybe doing a series on the fantastic in cinema, on the way that cinema can transport us to worlds we could never otherwise experience. To that end, a film like "Spirited Away" would be a perfect choice.
"Ghost In The Shell" would be a fascinating one to discuss because, as you mention, it brings up all sorts of questions about the soul, existence, humanity and their relationship with technology, the nature of identity, etc. Plus, it's a perfect example of how animation can be used to tell a very mature, "adult" story. However, I'm afraid some might be put off by some of the more violent content, which is even more shocking in the animated form, IMHO.
However, one anime that really comes to my mind is the short series "Haibane Renmei". It's not very well-known, but it's a very delightful, if somewhat melancholy story, has gorgeous animation, and really touches on themes of redemption, forgiveness, the after-life, etc. However, I don't know how well it would work within the context of the movie discussion group.
Maybe I should also start up an anime discussion group!!! :)
BTW, I totally agree with your assessment of "Paranoia Agent". The first two discs are absolutely stellar, and the first one even moreso. The series, however, really stumbles on disc 3 and loses quite a bit of momentum. I think disc 4 started moving back in the right direction, but just couldn't quite bring everything back together.
Oh, and speaking of Maromi, I got one of those dolls when I bought the collector's edition of the series. You can see him/her/it paying respects to the baby Jesus in our nativity scene here.
Post a Comment
<< Home