Dysfunctional Toaster

Before watching that overly dark film I mentioned in the post below, I watched a completely delightful little Japanese show called "You Gotta Quintet" and that's the title as it appears and is spoken for Japanese TV.
It is the coolest show I've seen so far, but I've only ever seen the tail end of it a couple times but I was able to vidcap sections of these on my computer (a lot of wires are involved). It looks like some kind of Sesame Street show, but I'm not sure. The sections I've watched feature these 4 cute marionettes playing violin, cello, trumpet, and clarinet (that little guy on the human's shoulder jumps up to play the cymbals every once in a while, more like comic relief). Add in a human pianist and you have the quintet. Then they just sit up on stage and play a nice arrangement of some sort of piece (I just heard The Entertainer). The marionette movements are very convincing. Actual musicians or someone well trained in music must be controlling them. The strings move with the music and even do tremelos and scales at the right time, the clarinettist pushes keys in a relatively accurate method (as far as I know), the trumpet doesn't use any of the unused (3rd valve only) combinations. It's just fun because everything is detailed and well articulated. Match it up with the really nice arrangements and you have the makings of a nice show.
There's been a few shows I've enjoyed so far on JTV, but the problem is I don't know when they come on and have no real way of checking. Maybe eventually I'll figure out a schedule of when "the good stuff" comes on. Until then, serendipity all the way.

4 Comments:
You mentioned awhile back the possibility of making a Japanese TV sampler tape for us Americans. Is that project still a go? I would love to see You Gotta Quintet, or one of those infamous Japanese game shows.
BESS
Somewhat.
I've got a collection of a few things, but what I lack is a decent video editing suite. The one I have now involves a lot of timing and then it's difficult to get clean starts and stops, balance volume levels, etc.
The stuff I have so far that would probably go on the sampler are (in no particular order)
-A nice Barney Knockoff with cute Japanese kids
-Some amazing footage of a sushi shop
-Commercials I've enjoyed
-A funny segment about a comedian that lives in the same house with a Panda for a couple of days
-Of course the Quintet stuff
It's a work in progress that's just kind of fun. I don't know if fruition will ever be achieved.
Just realized I must have missed something. What does "dysfunctional toaster" refer to?
BESS
Dysfunctional Toaster:
I came home and watched the light fluffiness of You Gotta Quintet, then I popped in the dark and dreary Blood. The effect of the two so close to each other made me think of a toaster that burns one side of the bread and doesn't even heat the other.
I like these stupid, obtuse...maybe even austere titles. Kind of like a puzzle that will either frustrate or get a slight "oh" from the reader. That's what I'm here for.
Post a Comment
<< Home