Y is for Yon
Pietro Yon
I didn't count on Y being a tough letter. It turned out to be pretty dry for composers though. Fortunately I found this guy. I didn't even know I knew him until I heard his Gesu Bambino piece. Yeah, that Christmas-ey piece that everyone likes so much. I guess it's his. Congrats.
It's also kind of nice to have a fellow like this because as far as I can tell he was a real working musician. He had a steady church gig as an organist, he toured around doing recitals, and composed on the side as well. I have a real tendency to put composers in ivory towers where they do nothing but write music all day, but all these composers are guys trying to pay the bills. I guess when you look at slightly lesser known composers you have the tendency of seeing the whole package, not just the good parts. I think it's healthy to see the toil that goes into being a musician. Work isn't a stigma after all.
Here's a little organ piece of his. It's seems a nice piece for the recessional after a service. I know I'm not the only who appreciates these little organ mini-recitals, but I wish more people did.
There's a bunch of these floating around. This one seemed a decent choice for whatever reason. If you object, feel free to look for an arrangement that suits your taste.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home